UW LTC Externship: Info for Facilities
Thank you for your interest in participating in the Long-Term Care Externship Program!
We know that staffing a skilled nursing or assisted living facility can be challenging – and that’s exactly what our program aims to address. The Long-Term Care (LTC) Externship Programs places UW Nursing students (with a nurse tech license) in LTC facilities like yours to train and inspire them to pursue a career in Long-Term Care. The student is paired up with an RN preceptor and works as a Nurse Tech for at least 6 hours a week for 6 months, while they receive both didactic and hands-on training. While students are licensed as Nurse Techs and become paid employees at the facility, the program otherwise comes with no fee to facilities.
Why host a student?
- Influence and inspire your future RN workforce.
- Enjoy increased staffing for 6 months.
- Give back to the nursing community.
Please note that, while we would love to place a student at your facility, placements always depend on student enrollment and convenience of location to those students. We enroll students every spring quarter and students begin work in September. If you are interested, please email email@example.com, and we can let you know what the next steps are to placing a student with your facility.
Requirements for Facilities
- Must have at least 50% Medicaid Beds
- Must be able to pair up student with an RN for every shift
- Must be able to assist with training student and allowing hands-on practice of the following skills
- Memory care, dementia care
- Acute care
- Transitional Care
- Must hire and pay student Nurse Techs at least $25 per hour
- Must work with program staff with onboarding, scheduling, and evaluation
For more information, please contact Gina at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com